Thursday, March 4, 2010

Out of Africa

One of the questions I get asked as an author is, "What is the inspiration for your books?  For The World in Your Teacup, it was a serendipitous meeting with a Kenyan nurse while my son was in the hospital for a surgery on his mouth.  While she was caring for my son, I noticed her accent and asked where she was from.  When she told me it was Kenya, I asked if she lived near any of the tea fields or liked tea. She not only said yes to both, but went on to reminisce about her country, her love of tea, and her tea traditions. 


From that encounter and then others,  I realized that tea is more than just a beverage.  It is a way to connect.  We were two women from opposite sides of the world, yet we connected over our love of tea.  

Kenya is a huge tea drinking nation as well as a tea growing nation.  It competes for number one exporter of tea in the world.  You have probably had Kenyan tea and not even realized it as many teabag companies use it in their blends for tea. 


For those that are really interested in tea and where it comes from, you might want to take a look at a video I came across from Lipton's website.  National Geographic shot Kenya's beautiful tea fields and the way that Lipton is trying protect the land by certifying their tea gardens as Rainforest Alliance Certified.  I am not endorsing their tea or the Rainforest Alliance, but I think it sounds like a wonderful program to protect not only the land, but the growers as well.


In my next couple blogs, I will feature my goat cheese and honey scone recipe from the Kenya chapter of The World in Your Teacup.  I will also be making a big announcement of a partnership Lisa Knows Tea is working on with The World in Your Teacup.  You won't want to miss it. 

What is in your cup today?  Do you know where it comes from?  Would love to hear...

Happy Sipping, Lisa

2 comments:

  1. In my cup today is Golden Yunnan from China, sold by David Smith Tea Maker. I am waiting for some tea to arrive soon from Taiwan, a gift from a friend. I can't wait to see what she picked out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Golden Yunnans-lucky you to have a Taiwan connection to tea!

    ReplyDelete